Thursday, April 9, 2009

Welcome to My Sewing Room!

I'm going to take you around the room from the point that I enter at the top of the stairs..... This is where I cut. Underneath are all my repro solids. You can also see the chair I sit in occasionally. I can also watch the TV from there:
This shelf holds SOME of my books and misc. stuff. Actually, I moved the lion's share of my books to the shelves in the bathroom. It doesn't get too much use, so I'm not too grossed out! The solids on the floor are all vintage solids:
OK--Now here's the new things we've added recently. Bill put the large shelf on the right together that we got from Wal-Mart. It holds all the repro fabs I use to sew with. Before they were all stacked on the floor! He built the smaller shelf unit to the left of it. It holds all my felt, some of the feedsacks I use for myself, and my chenilles. Some of it was on the floor and some came from other shelving units.
The other large shelves to the left of that one were already there and hold my regular and vintage cottons plus 25 years worth of ufos.
Continuing to the left is my TV and more of the feedsacks I use for sewing. The small shelf unit to the right of the TV are all novelty feedsacks that I will eventually sell.
Here are some of the feedsacks that I will sell in some form or another. The mess you see on the floor is me putting feedsack pieces in groups to list on Etsy & Ebay.
Note the shelf Bill built above the doors to the bathroom and closet! Isn't he handy?? And some of it is still available! What should I do????
And here's my NEW ironing station! Bill built me a cabinet to hold my Big Board. It is the best thing to have that extra space underneath! Did you notice my Christmas present to myself?? I LOVE that Rowenta Steam Iron!! I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond using my 20% coupon and it ONLY (LOL) cost me $137. It hurt, but it was worth it!
One of the things that Bill did that I like the very BEST is my new design wall! It used to be a Warm and White batting tacked to the wall. It was a real problem if I needed to pin something. He saw Linda Jenkins' new design wall when we visited them this summer so we copied hers. He covered 2 big pieces of wallboard with batting and mounted them to the wall. Now I just pin into wallboard which is SO much easier! It's also great for picture taking. It measures about 7' x 7 1/2'. I LOVE it!!
OK-- I confess that I still have one rat's nest to clean up. OK-- I confess there's more than that. OK-- I confess there's STILL a LOT of stuff on the floor!! Anyhoo, here's all my vintage quilts, tops, chenille spreads and no telling what else. This is a before pic. I'm betting that you won't see alot of change in the after pic!
So that's it! Scary, huh? At least I know where everything is! And I must say that when I was going through my stuff I found some great things!! Very fun....

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Even though I saw your post in January, I enjoyed it just as much this time too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I could get lost in your sewing room for days looking at all the pretties. I was especially interested in your iron so I'm glad you mentioned it. I recently did an unhappy camper iron post and in search of the perfect iron.

http://loftcreations.blogspot.com/2009/04/sensitive-subject.html

With 50+ comments left it seems I'm not the ONLY one unhappy with my iron.

Margaret said...

I love to see all the fabric! It's more fun than wallpaper.

Unknown said...

Glenna, Like Jane, I loved seeing it all over again. To have that much repro fabric and just plain old fabric is absolute heaven!! It doesn't matter what state of tidiness it is in, it is heaven! To be able to choose any fabric, it is heave! Wait, I have said that before several times, well you get the picture. Do you know when you will be loading more feedsacks??

Ann Ferguson said...

Thanks for sharing Glenna. Love all the fabric and am quite envious of Bill! Really like te shelves above the doors.
Ann.

cathi said...

Love the number of feedsacks that you have! I just love them.
cathi

Dippyflowers said...

Love your design wall Glenna. I would love one but my tiny sewing room is already overflowing. Love all your fabrics too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'd love to come spend some time in your sewing room. It's full of goodies! LOVE the ironing station!

pratima said...

Your sewing room is just awesome!!!
Thank you for sharing all the lovely pics. It's like a sweet treat to see different sections and read about them :)

Barb said...

I truly enjoyed seeing your sewing room...truly....and I thought I had alot of material...sheweee, you out do me by far. I will have to check out your stores next.

XUE said...

wonderful sewing room & even more wonderful Bill ! Always fun to peek inside others' sewing room so thank you for this!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

I'm jealous of all your feedsacks..I'll have to check out your shop. Jennifer

Sparky said...

Not even sure how I found you lol...but OH MY GOD!, that is a lot of material...how do you work in it, do you even have enough room? I can't say I have ever seen anything like it... I am now speechless? ( psst, this is not going to happen to me????) lol
blessings m.s.

Julia said...

OMG...I don't know how i missed this post before...but, can I come and live in your sewing room!!
What a beautiful sight of fabrics,,
Julia ♥

Linda said...

My, my my,my,my....you have a lot of fabric.. Do you sell/or have a store? You are in your early 20's right. So you will have years to go through all that stash.lol
All to you..

Annie said...

It's fun to see that someone has gobs of fabric like I do! When I moved from another state to this house people asked me what I was going to do with all my fabric. I brought it all with me! What did they think I was going to do with it???

Millie said...

I love your sewing room which looks more like a mini quilt shop. Those 1930's fabrics are so beautiful. And you have a nice iron too. I bet it is only for quilting and not ironing clothes.

Tara said...

I LOVE your ironing table! My father and husband have built me a GREAT hutch to store ongoing projects on and other items...but I have so much stuff I need more storage and my cutting table doesn't allow for storage under it...and the bins under the folding table where I sew are not cutting it either...so I think I just found my dad his new project...THANKS! (And it was great listening to you on the podcast!)

henrysgran said...

I loved listening to you with Pat, and your website is wonderful. I am going to start looking for vintage rickrack and feedsacks. I hear of so many husbands building storage for their wives fabrics and fun things; I would love for my husband to follow suit! I hope you are all better, and keep up the fun!

Siren said...

What a room - and how I envie you all your fabrics :)
It is like a dream :)